Friday, September 7, 2012

Out of this world brown soda bread


When you think brown soda bread you think of mini you sitting at your Grannys kitchen table, and on  your plate homemade soda bread with thick cut slices of ham on top...YUM...basically brown soda bread equals nostalgia.
There are certain shops you will drive to just to get your brown bread fix like Avoca  or Superquinn your guaranteed perfection every time.So i thought to my self its about time I make my own brown soda bread that I can pass on down to my kids and so on. I tried a few recipes over the past year from friends and recipy books but I just couldn't seem to master them, they would come out stogy and half raw which for a semi perfectionist drove me bonkers. Even my best friends Mam has a fantastic recipy  she got from her Mam that we used to eat when we were younger whenever Grandma used to come and stay in hers and it was DIVINE, but when I went to make it id fall flat on my face lol...
So here we are after a year of tinkering and tedious testing I have finally perfected my brown soda bread , and maybe its the Lemsip talking and making me feel awfully generous but iv decided to share my recipy.....ENJOY

230g Hearts Delight
210g Plain Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Bicarb Soda
50g Sesame Seeds, extra for the top
50g Poppy Seeds
2 Medium Free range eggs
410ml Buttermilk

In a large bowl add the Hearts Delight, Plain flour, salt and bicarb and mix with your hand then sprinkle in the seeds and give the mixture another swirl. In another bowl/measuring cup break in the two eggs and whisk lightly then pour in the buttermilk and mix. Combine your wet ingredients now with your dry and combine with a wooden spoon. This mixture will be quite wet but that is the consistency we are looking for.
Next line your 2lb loaf tin with grease proof paper and slowly pour it in. Pop it in your pre heated oven and bake for 40mins @ 200'c
When it comes out of the oven take it out of the tin and peel off the grease proof paper and give it a wee pat under neath and it will have a hollow sound, thats exactly what your looking for that means its baked through if you didn't have that sound you are guaranteed that when you put in your skewer it would come out sticky!!!!
i love the way the seeds give this bread a fantastic texture not only on the top of each slice but the whole way through it has a super crunch to it without been overwhelming ha ha...ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment


© Num Num Cupcakes. Powered by